28 December 2012

Lists, Headaches, and Merry Christmas

I am a list person. I love lists of all sorts - To Do Lists, Grocery Lists, Wish Lists, Blog Lists, Christmas Lists, etc. And "list people" thrive off accomplishing what is on their list. Being able to check off as complete the items on a list is a pure source of adrenaline, a sense of complete satisfaction. And I sit here this evening in front of our Christmas tree with just such a feeling.

Despite a rocky start to the day, I have knocked out my Today To Do List as if I were as powerful as Super Woman. Maybe not as powerful, but definitely as motivated.

I am a headache prone lady. I have been getting headaches since I was a little girl. I remember the first time I swallowed medicine in pill form... My grandmother was a tough lady and she insisted I learn. And to this day, I am certainly thankful. Anyway, I woke up a bit before 6:00 am with a migraine. Migraines for me normally come on in the evenings, then I just sleep it off and wake up fine the next morning. This one however, came on in the night and woke me up. My favorite. I was able to get a couple more hours of sleep before my little one woke up for the day and that helped take the edge off a bit. I took some medicine and thought, I can power through it, I've got a list to take on today!

It started off with breakfast for the family - french toast and waffles. And no, not from scratch. The from a box kind you pop in the toaster for a few minutes and voila! I moved onto laundry and dishes and cleaning after that. It was a bit of a slow process due to the headache, but I drank a cold Coke over ice and tried my best to push the headache away.

I fixed my little one a most nutritious lunch, a handful of Cheetos and Macaroni & Cheese, and then it was nap time. I managed to clean myself up and eat some lunch. While eating my lunch, I flipped through the channels and landed on Hitch - one of my favorite movies. When it comes to movies, I'm pretty particular as to what makes "my collection." I really don't own too many DVDs, and the ones I do must rate very highly on my movie list. And Hitch is one of them. I have a soft spot for romantic comedies and Will Smith and Kevin James absolutely crack me up in this film. And bonus, it's pretty clean to watch. So, I watched a bit of Hitch until nap time was over and then it was time to work on more of my list.

Next up - wrapping Christmas presents. This will really be the first Christmas our little one will have an idea of what's going on. We are so excited about it too. I really debated about wrapping and putting presents under the tree. I wasn't certain it wouldn't be just plain mean to put presents under the tree and insist that they cannot be opened until a later time. On the other hand, it would be a learning experience in the patience department. Not to mention, I really don't want our child charging the presents under other trees when we visit friends and family's homes either.

So, a decision was made and the presents would be wrapped today and our little one would be around to witness and "help" with the wrapping. I could not be more pleased with how this went. At first, it was a lot of "my presents" and "open my presents." I explained that these were the gifts we would be giving to others. We sat down and I began to wrap the first one. This is for Carl. "Mommy, where is Carl?" He's not here and he's not coming. This is for Carl to open on Christmas Day. "Okay - I help." It worked out that I wrapped the gifts and our little one put them under the tree. It was really great. They haven't been bothered hardly at all and when Daddy walked in, it was "these are presents for Grandma and Grandpa!" I know I have God to thank for this. I really want our little one to see that it is truly more blessed to give than to receive. I also realize this is just the beginning in attempting to teach this truth.

Present wrapping off the list, time for dinner. Oh, and at this point, I realize I am finally headache free! I put a ham in the oven and we had canned garden green beans and Bob Evans mashed potatoes to go along. Plus rolls. The green beans were wonderful (courtesy of my mother) and if you've never tried Bob Evans Original Mashed Potatoes, once you do, you'll never put the effort into making your own from scratch again. They are fantastic. And they are done in 6 minutes in the microwave.

Another round of dishes, a little bit of laundry, and now on to ironing - a chore I truly could live without. Laundry I really don't mind, dishes are okay, but ironing is just painful for me. I put it off for as long as possible. The only good that comes out of ironing is that when it's done, it's an item off my list. Plus, the shirt is now considered "wearable" in the mornings.

Last on my list is to install our new wireless internet modem. Our current one is simply outdated (~10 years) and just isn't performing as needed. Let me just say, I didn't realize how out of date it really was. The new one is awesome - much faster and definitely less choppy. No interruptions in service since I started this post! That's improvement already.

Well, it's 3 days until Christmas and I thought I'd share with you a snapshot of our tree and two of our favorite ornaments.



I so very hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas. Thanks be to God for His unspeakable glory. Happy Birthday to you, Jesus. And thank you for your perfect gift, the gift of salvation.

Thanks for reading.

Kate

December 22, 2012

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

i HEART comments! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!