20 September 2013

5 on Friday: a Fly, a Camel, and a Face

Happy Friday Lovelies! I hope you're week has treated you swell and you've got just the kind of weekend you need ahead of you. My week has flown by! I haven't posted all week, so I'm going to use this week's Five on Friday as the perfect opportunity to give a quick recap - that's the idea, right? :)


ONE
Take a look at the picture below - do you see what I see? A fly. On the inside. Of my glass. Needless to say, I asked for another drink. But, I couldn't help but wonder how long it had been there before I actually noticed. I was chatting and laughing and not paying any attention. For peace of mind, I've chosen to move on under the assumption that I noticed it prior to taking a drink! 
 
 
TWO
I was sitting at my desk on Wednesday just working away, minding my own business when someone came up to me and started saying "Mike, Mike, Mike. Guess what day it is??? What day is it, Mike?" I was essentially speechless and responded with a look of complete puzzlement. It was obvious that I was not up to speed, so the video below was shared with me. "Woot woot!" Have you seen this commercial? I laughed until there were tears in my eyes. I realize, though, that I may have found it incredibly funny solely because of its preface by my co-worker. What do you think? 
 
 
THREE
I saw this quote on Pinterest and loved it. Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.  This really resonated with me because it is incredibly true. There have been so many times when an individual has opened up to me about something going on in their lives or shared a piece of their history, and I've been completely floored. I had no idea. I find it incredibly humbling - you end up with a renewed sense of compassion for others and gratitude for your own circumstances. I really believe it is a habit that one must learn and cultivate continuously - because considering what lies underneath and behind the person requires greater character than the mere judgment of a person on the surface.
 
 
FOUR
I am starting to have truly proud Mommy moments. Not just because of how sweet and adorable he is, but of who he is becoming. In these moments, my heart literally swells with pride and overwhelming joy. For example... I was outside taking care of our dog. When I came in, I heard the toilet seat fall down. My little boy has been potty trained for a few months now and is in the phase where he refuses my help, but I was so proud that he just went by himself. He didn't need me at all.
 
Another example... his room upstairs was a disaster - toys everywhere. I was cleaning house downstairs and he was playing upstairs. I told him that he could have a cookie if he cleaned up all of his toys. I could hear him playing and knew he was so distracted that he'd forget about the cookie. But about an hour passed and he came down the stairs saying, "Mommy!! I cleaned my room. Come see!" I'm totally not falling for this so I head up and take a look. Low and behold, he had - he had cleaned up every toy and pushed every toy basket against the wall out of the way. He got two cookies.
 
One more... I picked him up from school the other day and the Teacher said that after lunch, little man looked at the Cook and said "thank you for making us food today." He also told the Teacher that helped him after his accident, "thank you for taking care of me when I got hurt yesterday." These aren't fed words to him, he is being sincere!
 
Last one, we were going to dinner with his grandmother and aunt. As his grandmother climbed into the car, he said "I'm so glad to see you today!" All of our hearts melted.
 
FIVE
I'm not sure if you've noticed anything different on the page lately, but I actually added my face. :) So, here is my official, non-cartoonish introduction to the blogosphere.
 
H O W D Y ! ! !
 
 
Hope you have a lovely weekend Friends!
 
As always, thanks for reading.
 
Kate
 
September 20, 2013

19 Comments:

Unknown said...

Have a package of wipes by the toilet....they never manage to keep it in the bowl, and they are nice for easy clean up!

Renee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
[darci @ the good life] said...

That quote is oh, so true!!! So glad you joined or little link-up! :)

Taylor Jeavons said...

Awww these stories are so so great! They gave me a huge smile! Your little man sounds like quite the gentleman!

NShea said...

I LOVE those stories of how sweet your little man is!! I hope my boy will also have a sweet heart!!
Visiting from the link-up..newest follower! :)

Kristen said...

Perfect post for this Friday!! Your little man sounds wonderful. Such a little gentleman. Its so great to get the manners and such started young :) Um, that bug? I'm grossed just looking at the picture. Me, the neat/OCD freak, who hates dirt on the counter..blah! What else? Oh! Your beautiful! :) Happy Friday friend!

Linda said...

You make me smile. Thank you for sharing.

Sarah said...

How have I never seen that commercial before? Actually, I just answered my own question - likely because it's not aired in Canada. :)
Hilarious!!! Absolutely love it.

Xae Nafew said...

Stopping by from SITS :) Your baby boy sounds amazing!

MrsTee said...

Happy Sharefest...I only just discovered 5 on Friday and I love it...

I'm not sure I would've been able to psych myself out about the fly though...LOL

a happier girl said...

My kids were tickled to death this past week when the school lunch lady came out of the kitchen to do the hump day thing with all the kids. She shouted "you know what day it is?" and they all shouted back huuuuuummmmppp daaaaaay! There's no escaping it!

Dana @ Kiss my List said...

I put that commercial on my blog last month - it's hilarious. My dad's name is Mike, and my mom has taken to calling him that way: Mike mike mike mike mike!

Love seeing your smiling face - I assume that was taken before you found the fly in your drink! Ick.

Leslie @ Violet Imperfection said...

I still haven't seen the hump day commercial. I need too!

Thank you for linking up to Raising Imperfection!
Make sure to check back on Friday to see if you were featured.
Leslie
www.violetimperfection.com

Lifeonephoto said...

Oh my gosh I love his little heart. I know your heart swells with pride!

Lanaya | Raising Reagan said...

Isn't it great when you ask them to do something and they totally do it!!!!?? I love when Reagan surprises me like that to.
What a cutie pie!

Thank you for linking to Raising Imperfection.
Please come back Friday to see if you were featured. :)

¤´¨)
¸.•*´
(¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
Raising-Reagan.com

Laura Darling said...

Hahaha that commercial makes me laugh every time!

Shannon @ Everyday Mom-ents said...

Your son sounds so polite! It is always exciting when they start to do new things! How fun! Good job Momma!

Christine said...

Every Wednesday, all day, all my kids as me what day it is. And I have a friend whose family does the same thing. Last Wednesday she was at a zoo and texted me a photo of her kids standing in front of a camel and asked me what day it was. yes, we've seen the commercial. :)
I learned the truth of that quote many years ago when I went on a church retreat. It changed my life and the way I look at people.
And lastly, your son is adorable and so sweet.

mail4rosey said...

Thanks for linking to Super Sunday Sync!

Aww, aww, and awwwwwwwww on the little one!!! I love your recap of what he said and did that week, so sweet. Kids are THE BEST!!!

Have a great week and thanks for linking the commercial. I think that's a good one too. Geico's spot-on w/their ads. :)

Post a Comment

i HEART comments! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!