25 January 2013

Looking for Work at Five


It's Finish The Sentence Friday and this week's sentence is "When I was younger I tried..."  And I can promise you that I have wracked my brain trying to think of just how to finish this sentence. I'm not sure why I found it so difficult, but things I kept thinking of were either boring or embarrassing enough that I couldn't bare putting them out there for the world (or my family) to see.

But finally, this evening while watching Mickey Mouse with my little one, it came to me. It's not overly exciting and it's not one of those memories I personally recall. As a matter of fact, I called my mother to make sure I had it straight. It is, however, one of those stories I love to hear her tell.

So... When I was younger, I tried to get a job at McDonald's.

I know you're thinking this doesn't seem odd or comical at all. Well, would it help if I told you that I was only five years old? Apparently, I was going through the "waitress" stage where I was constantly taking people's orders, pretending to write them down, and then serve them.

And for some reason, at five, I decided it was time to find work. I supposedly retrieved the phone book, looked up the number, and made the phone call - all while my mother is completely oblivious to what is happening. She eventually hears me say "Are you hiring?" and rushes to hang up the phone. When she asks just exactly who I am talking to, my reply was McDonald's.

Now, I'm not convinced that I was actually talking to someone from McDonald's. Could a five year old really look up the number in the phone book and dial it? I'm not certain. Either way, I feel like that's a pretty good imagination.  And if my little guy has those capabilities when he's five, I'll be in trouble. I'm sure he'll be calling tractor dealers to see if he can take one for a test drive!

Hope you have a lovely weekend. And thanks for reading.

Kate

January 25, 2013

13 Comments:

Unknown said...

Cute story. I think my little one would try and work at the car dealership, or the monster truck factory.
Found you through the Finish the Sentence blog hop http://georgielee.blogspot.com

Janine Huldie said...

Oh Kate what a great story and I know what you mean about sometimes just having a hard time completing a thought. That said you did a great job on this one and thanks as always for linking up with us!!

Unknown said...

New follower from the Meet and Greet Blog Hop! :) Would love if you could follow me too! http://thethreewhiskateers.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Aww, that is so cute! I love this story. My kids can't even use our phone because we don't have a land line anymore. They'd have to break into our cells with the password. Hope we don't need to call 911. I should probably teach them that.

Kristi - Finding Ninee said...

Oh my gosh, I don't remember applying for a job but I do remember using the phone for prank calls. Which involved the phone book and looking up funny names back then.
Ah, those were the days, huh? :)

Unknown said...

Hmmm.... All my life my father owned Jack in the Box restaurants. You shoulda called there. I've got connections and we could've gotten around all the pesky child labor laws;)
Vicky
www.thepursuitofnormal.blogspot.com

Shannon Fielding said...

The only job I would have wanted at five years old would have been a dog walker. Although it would have been the dogs walking me.

Unknown said...

Haha that's so precious! I used to want the play McDonald's set with the register and food :)


Thanks for stopping by! Following you back now :)

Amie said...

haha thats so cute!

Unknown said...

I'm so curious how Mickey Mouse prompted this memory! You know, since reading everyone else's stories I've been reminded of so many things in my own past I could have written about for this week's FTSF. Reading everyone else's stuff really is great inspiration!x

Richard Rumple said...

That's hilarious! Just imagine, if they'd have hired you then, you'd now be making almost $8 an hour!!!!! lol I once stayed home with chicken pox. My mother had to go to the doctor's office, so they left me alone for an hour or so. I know the lady I called about a saxophone purchase is still wondering why parents can't control their youngsters. lol Really good post!

It Is Interesting To Note said...

Found your post through the FTSF link and glad I did...too funny! I never went through the waitress phrase but I did the teacher thing when I was really young and kept trying to "educate" the rest of the family!

click here said...

Lol! Sounds funny to hear your experience when you were about 5 years old. When I was a kid, I was pretending I was a doctor. I used to treat my barbie doll (assuming that she was sick), I usually give her medicine. Anyway, that experience was really cute.. :)

Post a Comment

i HEART comments! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!